How Long Does Probate Take in North Carolina?
It is hard to determine the length of time it will take to finalize a Probate or Administration in North Carolina. There are many determining factors. Just to name a few:
1. Where are the assets located? All with one institution or several?
2. How much time does the appointed Executor or Administrator have to dedicated to collecting the assets? His or her time may be limited due to his or her own personal responsibilities.
3. Do we need to locate beneficiaries or heirs?
4. How quickly does the financial institution provide the information requested?
5. What is the size of the estate?
6. The requirements pertaining to filing deadlines, notice requirements, etc. of the Probate Court are always factors to consider as well.
If your goal is to avoiding Probate, have a smoother and quicker transition of assets then an alternate planning option for you to consider is a Revocable Living Trust.